Appalucie Fiber Arts

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Virginia State Fair

From reading the knitted-lace list, I got the idea of entering my knitting in a fair. I missed the Arlington County Fair deadline, so I thought, what the heck, I'll aim high and try the State Fair. I was torn between the Shetland Tea Shawl and the Springtime shawl, but since the STS has an awkward join at the edging, I went with the other one, and entered it in the "Knitting: Other" category.

Much to my surprise ... I not only won first place in my category, I also won Best In Section for all knitted items! Today I went to the Arts & Crafts exhibit at the fair. My shawl is displayed in the glass case with the other Best In Section winners. I saw some beautiful afghans, scarves, and sweaters that had also been entered, and am very flattered that the judges chose my piece.

It turns out there is a category for knitted and crocheted lace in the Lace section. There are two divisions: Novice and Expert. Their definition of novice is someone who has been making lace for less than two years; so I think if I enter that section next year, I will have to enter the Expert division. There were some wonderful crocheted tablecloths, so I think the competition there will be tough. I'm already thinking about what I want to enter.

This was so much fun. Next year I think I'm going to try to coerce my friends into entering other competitions. Duct tape, anyone?

In the photos below, my shawl is the blue one on the left.





7 Comments:

  • At 2:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, your hair is shorter than I think I've ever seen it. It looks good.

    I still can't believe you won at the state fiar. That's so cool.

     
  • At 4:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Awesome win! *cheers*

     
  • At 5:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lucie that's so wonderful! But I have to say that the people visiting the exhibits got cheated since they didn't spread it out for people to see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

     
  • At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations!!! That's awesome that you won!

     
  • At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations!!!!!! That shawl was beautiful, so you shouldn't be surprised that you won.

     
  • At 10:18 AM, Blogger Ruth said…

    Congratulations! I saw a post by the woman who knitted the poncho-ed Charlotte's Web shawl on the right in your photograph ... I was tickled to see it in the case with yours. Now I really feel like I've been to the Virginia State Fair. :)

     
  • At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congrats on your win in your state fair! Go for "expert" level next year. Looks like the category you belong in! Judith Reed Ligosky, 8-ribbon winner (4 firsts, 2 seconds, one fourth, and one best-of-show!) at the Michigan State Fair this year!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home