Appalucie Fiber Arts

Sunday, April 17, 2005

Balmoral Thistle Dinner Cloth

This cloth was completed in spring of 2002. The pattern is Balmoral Thistle from Marianne Kinzel's Second Book of Modern Lace Knitting, and it was made from #30 DMC thread. I wrote down how many balls of thread I used and lost it, sorry. I have seen examples on the web of the smaller, "tea cloth" version of the pattern, but this is the only example I've seen of the full dinner cloth version. It's my largest project to date, taking three months to complete. I had to start it twice, because after my first week of work, I actually left it on the subway in Brooklyn (doh!), so I had to start over. If I remember correctly, the final rows had nearly 2,000 stitches, and the blocked diameter is about 60". On a 48" round table, the outer border of the pattern falls precisely on the edge of the table. I think this must have been a deliberate choice by Kinzel, and it's very impressive.

If you are reading this and you are a lace knitter, you can see that I had a yarn over issue on one side of the solid shapes. I noticed that Michael Kaprelian, an expert knitter, had the same issue with his version of Balmoral Thistle. However, I don't see the same effect in the photos in Kinzel's book. If anyone has comments or suggestions to improve, I appreciate your input. I knit continental, if that makes any difference.

Click on the photos to see the full size image.







7 Comments:

  • At 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It is absolutely beautiful!!! An inspiration>

     
  • At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lucie, that is simply stunning. I'm in awe.

     
  • At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Unbelievable...!

    It's truly a masterpiece.

    I took the photo, and am using it for my desktop wallpaper.

     
  • At 2:34 PM, Blogger Suzanne said…

    Very lovely, Lucie! As regards the "yarnover issue", I think it is markedly visible because of the cotton and its inherent lack of elasticity. I've noticed the same thing occurring in wool; but it becomes much less visible once the lace is dressed. My guess is that it is an inevitable byproduct of the position of the YO relative to the decrease it is paired with. This may be the reason that the Orenburg lace knitters don't bother with left-slanting decreases...

     
  • At 12:07 AM, Blogger Lucie said…

    Thanks, Suzanne! I didn't know that about Orenburg knitters. Thanks! I actually looked at the photo in Kinzel's book, and I do see that she had the same problem, just not so pronounced. Well, I guess I should just not point it out to people since no one seems to notice until I do. ;)

     
  • At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Interestingly, the larger yarnovers in your shawl show on the opposite side compared to Michael's. Is this a garter based pattern and it's just the reverse side? I know that one side of my yarnovers are larger, as you have, but will be more conscious to tighten up my stitch to help that. Thanks for sharing your work. I just love the doilies being reinterpreted as shawls.

     
  • At 10:25 PM, Blogger Lucie said…

    I hadn't noticed that about Michael's cloth having the larger holes on the other side. Maybe one of us got our photos reversed!

    It's not garter stitch, there is definitely a right side and a wrong side. I thought I was tightening up that stitch, but, guess not!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home