Appalucie Fiber Arts

Monday, June 27, 2005

Knitted Lace Spheres

I'm getting ready to move to a new apartment so haven't been knitting much lately, so I thought I'd post these in the meantime. Aren't these cool? The pattern was invented a few years ago by Judy Gibson, who I consider to be one of my online "mentors" in lace knitting, even though I am sure she has no idea who I am. A couple of years ago I did a whole series of these spheres and gave most of them away. These are knitted longitudinally, using short rows. If you want to try making your own, see Judy Gibson's patterns for both plain and fancy knitted spheres.

They're a bit hard to photograph so I included several views each of the red and the white one. As always, click on the image to see a larger version. If you look closely, you can make out the gold beads in the red sphere. The bottom photo of the white sphere shows where the seam goes.

Both spheres were made from inexpensive size 10 crochet thread from the craft store. I have no record of needle size used, unfortunately. They were "blocked" by soaking them in glue and inflating a balloon inside them while still wet. The finished spheres are squashable, but they are very easy to re-block with a new balloon.

Try some yourself!





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home