Appalucie Fiber Arts

Monday, October 08, 2007

Virginia State Fair, 2007

Here we go again! so far I have a perfect record of getting a ribbon for every item I've entered in the State Fair. This year I was fortunate enough to be awarded First Place in the Expert Lace Section, as well as Second Place for my shawl in the Knitting: Shawls, wraps, and stoles division. There was some really beautiful work on display this year, and I'm thrilled that the judges chose to recognize my items. Still no Best in Section for lace, as I had hoped, but I'll be baaaaaaaaaack. :)

Lotus Flower tablecloth, displayed in a glass case. Scroll down to previous blog entries to see it in its full glory on my dining table.



Print o' the Wave Stole, pattern by Eunny Jang. This was knitted with Misti Alpaca lace yarn, can't remember the name of the color, can't remember needle size. aren't I helpful? I love how it turned out, and they really displayed it nicely.



The novelty fair food of 2007: Deep fried Pepsi. After last year's famed Deep Fried Coke that was the hit of the 2006 Texas State Fair, knockoffs are popping up all over the place. This version, sold at Porky's BBQ at the Virginia fair, looks nasty but actually tasted pretty good. They used pepsi to concoct some sort of pudding-like center, folded it in a sheet of dough, and fried it. It had a strong Pepsi flavor, and the presentation brought out the cola's spicy character. Reminded me a bit of Indian Pudding. On the left is fried PB & J. My friend Renee, whose hand is in the photo, liked the PB & J better, while I preferred the Pepsi.

9 Comments:

  • At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congrats on winning the blue ribbon! They'd have to be crazy not to recognize your work as a work of art girl. I always always enjoy seeing whatever you've knit ( and painted! )

    Becky

     
  • At 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Stunning!!

    Tempe

     
  • At 2:50 PM, Blogger Laritza said…

    Congratulations! Beautiful!

     
  • At 2:53 PM, Blogger Karen said…

    Congratulations -- beautiful work!

     
  • At 3:40 PM, Blogger Steph said…

    Lotus Flower is absolutely gorgeous!

    deep fried pepsi otoh -- ick.

     
  • At 3:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    CONGRATULATIONS. Excellent work.

     
  • At 6:52 PM, Blogger Rosemarie Buchanan said…

    Fabulous, and congrats on the ribbon!

    I was so glad I was able to display my own lace knitting last year at the fair. With all the work that went into your lotus flower piece, I think passers-by should be able to see it in all its glory, and not folded over on itself, which pretty much obliterates the lace.

    I love the shot of it on your table. You should be very proud!!

     
  • At 1:33 AM, Blogger Soo said…

    That's gorgeous. I agree with Rosemarie - it's disappointing that they couldn't display it properly - but I guess space is the issue.

    Anyway - it looks amazing and the Lotus Flower has moved up my to do list!

     
  • At 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Lucie. I just thought I'd drop by and see what you were up to. I see you have been doing more painting than knitting? I like the new paintings.

    Thought you'd like to know that I've finally started a shawl with the leftover Plum Zephyr you sent me. Go check it out on my blog when you get a chance. Come say hello anyway. Miss ya.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home